The Omaha Step Up For Down Syndrome Walk and Family Festival!
Saturday, October 3, 2020
Werner Park + Virtual Walk Option
12356 Ballpark Way, Papillion, NE 68046
The health, safety, and wellbeing of all participants in the Step Up Walk and their family members are priorities for the Down Syndrome Alliance of the Midlands while planning and having this event during these challenging times. We continue to monitor recommendations from the Nebraska Governor's Office, the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services, the Sarpy/Cass Health Department, and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention with respect to COVID-19 and will implement any recommendations from these sources that are in the best interests of our walk participants and that will minimize the likelihood of transmission. We encourage all participants attending the event to adhere to the recommendations from these sources to help minimize the likelihood of the spread of COVID-19, including social distancing, cloth facemasks covering the nose and mouth, covering coughs and sneezes, using hand sanitizer, and, as appropriate, handwashing with soap and warm water. We will continue to monitor the recommendations from these sources and implement any appropriate recommendations accordingly.
Check-in and Registration
In order to minimize person to person contact, individuals who registered online DO NOT need to check-in. Registration will be open for those that are not already registered, to collect donations, and to distribute shirts that were not previously picked up.
To allow for appropriate social distancing measures, this year’s in-person event will look differently than those of years past.
- The event will take place in the Werner Park parking lot.
- Team Captains will pick up shirts and Walk in Box Kits for their team prior to the day of the walk.
- Kit will include - "I Walk For" signs and markers, Down syndrome awareness ribbon temporary tattoos, Down syndrome awareness bracelets, pom-poms, and DSA koozies
- Teams will schedule a time to walk the Step Up route outside of the ballpark.
- Pre-packaged snacks and bottles of water will be available. Lunch will not be served this year.
- Masks are encouraged and will be available for use.
- To ensure the safety of our members, volunteers, and staff this year there will not be bounce houses, photo booths, or face painting.
- We will have a DJ playing killer jams, an area for team photos, and the same enthusiasm and love of the event that we have every year!
We realize that in the current climate, many of our members aren’t able to gather in large groups. This year we have added a virtual walk option. We encourage team captains to consider hosting smaller gatherings for your friends and family or having your friends and family walk on their own, in honor of their loved one with Down syndrome. This is a great way to engage friends and family near and far! We have a great “Walk in a Box” kit available to help you plan your get-togethers. Team Captains will pick up shirts and Walk in Box kits for their team prior to the day of the walk. Kit will include - "I Walk For" signs and markers, Down syndrome awareness ribbon temporary tattoos, Down syndrome awareness bracelets, pom-poms, and DSA koozies. Walk in a Box kits can be shipped for an additional cost.
Take LOTS of photos and post them on DSA’s Walk Facebook page! We can’t wait to see and share how you celebrate!
The Omaha Step Up for Down Syndrome Walk is the primary fundraiser of the Down Syndrome Alliance of the Midlands. 100% of funds raised support the programs and administration of an organization that supports over 400 families in the Omaha Metro.
Donations support the Down Syndrome Education Series, the Young Adult Series, the scholarship program for self-advocates, medical outreach materials, education materials for 20 local school districts, events that foster family connections, and professional staff to ensure the stability and growth of the Down Syndrome Alliance of the Midlands.